Champions of Old Korvosa
human ethnic groups
There are many human ethnic groups in the world, each with their own cultures, traditions, and languages.
- Chelaxians: From the Empire of Cheliax, an expansionist empire that fell to civil war 100 years ago. Chelaxians have been settling here for about 300 years, and they are the most common ethnic group in this region. More info on Chelaxians at Pathfinder Wiki.
- Shoanti: Proud, semi-barbaric warrior people with a strong mystical streak. They wear elaborate tribal tattoos. Shoanti are native to Varisia. They had a large settlement on the site of modern-day Korvosa before being pushed out by the Chelish annexation of Varisia 300 years ago. Today, they have mostly been pushed to the arid highlands of the Storval Plateau. Shoanti characters automatically gain Shoanti as a bonus language. More info on Shoanti at Pathfinder Wiki.
- Taldans: Elitist, urbane, industrious people of the once-great empire of Taldor. Their empire may be in decline, but their egos are not. More info on Taldans at Pathfinder Wiki.
- Ulfen: Seafaring warriors and traders from the lands of the frozen north. Their homeland is just north of Varisia. Ulfen gain Skald as a bonus language. More info on Ulfen at Pathfinder Wiki.
- Varisians: A nomadic, spiritual people that are native to this region. They are also very much a minority group in Korvosa. Varisians gain Varisian as an automatic bonus language. Varisians have an undeserved reputation as wandering hucksters and con-men; this is mostly due to the Sczarni being of Varisian ancestry. More info on Varisians at Pathfinder Wiki.
There are other more exotic ethnic backgrounds available, most of which are analogous to actual human cultures. See the GM if you have an idea that doesn’t mesh with the above.
Remember that there is no need to pick a human ethnic background— local custom and tradition trump any ethnic generalities. These are presented more for flavor and world background than anything else.